132437 messaggi

logo.png

Serie A Week 25 - 25-2-2012 (8:45 p.m.)

milan300pixelheader.gif - juventus300pixelheader.gif

Giuseppe Meazza (San Siro) Stadium - Milan

Referee: Paolo Tagliavento

No Juve for Ibra as appeal fails

Feb 23, 2012

Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not be available to face Juventus on Saturday after Milan lost an appeal against his three-match ban.

The striker was handed the punishment after being dismissed in the Week 22 0-0 draw with Napoli for slapping Salvatore Aronica in the face.

Having already missed the games against Udinese and Cesena, the Diavolo today made their case for the suspension to be reduced from three to two ties – thus making him available for this weekend.

Milan argued that Ibra’s gesture was not violent conduct, but one of an unsporting nature.

In seven Serie A ties against former club Juventus, while playing for Inter and Milan, Ibrahimovic has scored just one goal versus the Old Lady.

The 30-year-old has netted 15 times in 19 Serie A games this season. That is one more than the combined League strikes of Juve’s Alessandro Matri, Mirko Vucinic, Fabio Quagliarella, Alex Del Piero and Marco Borriello.

Condividi questo messaggio

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

imagegoalcomconcept2sub.jpg

Chiellini hails Pirlo ahead of AC Milan clash

Juventus defender has taken the time to praise the experienced midfielder ahead

of the highly anticipated Serie A clash versus the Rossoneri this weekend.

Feb 23, 2012

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini has voiced his opinion that playmaker Andrea Pirlo is the one who makes the difference for the Bianconeri ahead of Saturday evening's Serie A clash away against AC Milan.

Pirlo left Milan for Juventus on a free transfer at the start of the 2011-12 campaign, and has since developed into the undisputed key player at the Old Lady.

"Pirlo is the player who has really changed things at Juve. He really wanted to get back into the game, and has shown that he's an extraordinary person and a fantastic player," Chiellini was quoted as saying by Il Corriere dello Sport.

"We don't have a player like [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic, but we make up for it with our determination and our will to win."

Meanwhile, Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti has stated his belief that Pirlo is the best midfielder in the world.

"For me, Pirlo is the best midfielder in the world. Signing him was crucial for Juventus. He will continue to play until he turns 40."

The 32-year-old midfielder has a contract with Juventus until the summer of 2014.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Emanuelson: Juventus match will be complicated

AC Milan's dutchman has developed into an important first-team member at San Siro,

and has underlined the importance of Saturday's encounter against the Turin outfit.

Feb 23, 2012

AC Milan midfielder Urby Emanuelson realises that Saturday evening's Serie A game at home against Juventus will be a complicated match for the Rossoneri.

The San Siro outfit currently sit top of the Serie A table with a one-point lead over their rivals, who have one game in hand, but the Bianconeri came out victorious in their previous two encounters in the 2011-12 campaign.

"We are playing for the Scudetto on Saturday. It will be a very complicated game for us. We have already met them twice this season, and lost on both occasions," Emanuelson was quoted as saying by Tuttosport.

"Andrea Pirlo will be crucial for Juventus. He is one of the best players with whom I have played in my career."

Emanuelson scored his first goal for Milan in last week's 3-1 Serie A win over over Cesena, and will be looking to add to his tally on Saturday at San Siro. The match kicks off at 20.45CET.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Why Juventus should start Matri & Quagliarella up front against AC Milan –

how the Bianconeri's different forward partnerships have fared this season

The question marks over the Bianconeri's ability to turn possession into points means

Antonio Conte has a crucial selection decision to make ahead of their trip to San Siro.

Feb 23, 2012

ANALYSIS

By Kris Voakes | Italian Football Editor

After 23 games, they remain unbeaten. Just 15 more, and they will join an elite band of history makers who have avoided defeat in an entire Serie A season. But Juventus’ quest to continue their phenomenal run in 2011-12 will face its toughest hurdle on Saturday night when the Bianconeri visit champions and league leaders AC Milan.

They take with them many statistics of which they can rightly be proud, but one which has left them exposed is their conversion rate in front of goal. The most effective unit in Italian football tends to malfunction when it gets close to the opposition net, with the inability to find the target regularly holding them back in their bid to win the Serie A title for the first time post-Calciopoli.

Antonio Conte’s side have become known for the fabulously energetic pressing game, which wins them a phenomenal amount of possession in their opponents’ half of the field, yet that advantage has too often been squandered this season. Juve easily lead the league table in total shots (424) and efforts on target (152), yet sit just sixth in the list of goals scored, with 36. Even Palermo have converted more chances (38) despite their shots tally being over 100 less than Juve's at 312.

Last weekend’s 3-1 victory over Catania represented only the fifth time this term that the Old Lady have scored more than two goals in a game, despite the dominance enjoyed in the majority of their fixtures, and their four 1-1 and four 0-0 draws have almost exclusively come in games in which they have largely ruled the roost.

So going into the big clash against Milan, it will be crucial that Conte picks a side that can make the most of the fewer chances that are likely to be on offer against one of the best defences in the league. But the stats are not entirely clear on who might best be able to lead the line for the Bianconeri.

While Mirko Vucinic has the best rate for hitting the target of those players that have started more than once when leading the line, the Montenegrin has scored only once when not playing from a left-sided attacking role. Alessandro Matri and Fabio Quagliarella both have poorer records when it comes to hitting the target, yet their scoring rates are up on Vucinic’s.

Matri’s stats also massively increase when he has a partner alongside him, with only one of his 23 efforts (4.3%) hitting the back of the net when he has started alone in the centre in a 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 formation. In comparison, he has a six from 19 scoring record (31.6%) when starting with either Vucinic or Quagliarella to his side.

As Conte has favoured a 3-5-2 formation in recent weeks, it appears that Matri is the man to use in just such a formation, with Quagliarella’s two goals in three starts up top making him the best candidate to join the former Cagliari man.

But whoever starts, it is clear that Juventus’ conversion rate as a team must improve, with their inability to turn dominance from the pitch into convincing victories on the scoreboard the main reason that they head to San Siro trailing the Rossoneri. Better finishing over the final 15 games will surely go a long way towards pushing Conte and his men ever closer to a Scudetto triumph.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Zlatan Ibrahimovic to miss Juventus game

as AC Milan's ban appeal is rejected

The Swedish striker will have to miss a third game for his slap on Salvatore Aronica

earlier in the month, meaning he misses out on Saturday's match against the Bianconeri.

Feb 23, 2012

166417hp2.jpg

AC Milan's appeal for a reduction of Zlatan Ibrahimovic's three-match ban has been rejected by the Lega Calcio's Disciplinary Committee.

This means that the Sweden international will not take part in Saturday's crunch match at San Siro against Juventus, as initially expected.

Ibrahimovic saw red in Milan's goalless draw against Napoli on February 5 for slapping Salvatore Aronica in an off-the-ball incident.

The Rossoneri had challenged the severity of Ibrahimovic's action, claiming that there was no violence involved in the gesture, which would see his suspension reduced to two matches.

The club claimed in a statement following the failed appeal: "It's unfair because this case was treated as a violent one, but it isn't violent. It's a serious legal error."

However, the Lega Calcio's decision to enforce the ban as previously administered means that Milan will have to do without the services of Ibrahimovic, who is the club's top Serie A scorer, with 15 goals, against the Bianconeri.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

'I would never have allowed Andrea Pirlo

to leave AC Milan for Juventus,' says Carlo Ancelotti

PSG coach says the 32-year-old playmaker probably switched clubs to get

a bigger paycheck and insists he would have held on to Azzurri ace.

Feb 23, 2012

Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti thinks that AC Milan made a poor decision when they allowed Andrea Pirlo to join Juventus.

The 32-year-old midfielder signed for the Bianconeri in the summer on a free transfer after becoming a cult figure at San Siro during his decade at the club.

"I would never have let him go," Ancelotti told Mediaset Premium. "Or at most, I would have let him join Chelsea or PSG, where he could play under me!

"Perhaps Pirlo wanted a better contract and Milan did not want to give it to him. So maybe he joined Juventus to get that."

The 52-year-old was then asked about his early coaching days at Juventus and AC Milan ahead of Saturday's Serie A clash between the two clubs.

"From my years at Juventus, I remember a lot of things. For starters I remember Zinedine Zidane, who was absolutely the best player I have ever coached," Ancelotti said.

"My regret, if I could put it this way, was that he rarely showed in matches the monstrous things he did in training.

"The thing I am most proud of was the invention of the formation which looks like a Christmas tree: I had so many good midfielders and that was key to make them all play together, while giving the team a unique balance.

"My most important day was the 2002-03 Champions League final for AC Milan against Juventus at Old Trafford.

"It allowed me to remove the 'loser' label that the two years at Juve had given me."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Chiellini: Milan not just Ibra

Feb 24, 2012

Milan are still a force to be respected despite the absence of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, says Juventus’ Giorgio Chiellini.

The two teams will meet at San Siro on Saturday, but the Swede has been ruled out after he failed to get his three-match ban cut on appeal.

“Milan have so many champions in their squad,” the Italian international told Sky Sport Italia. “Therefore I don’t think too much will change for them with Ibra absent.

“They have already shown that they can deal with his absence in these last few games. Whoever replaces him will just be even hungrier to prove their worth.”

The Diavolo beat Udinese 2-1 and Cesena 3-1 without the former Juve and Inter man. Ibra was suspended after he slapped Napoli’s Salvatore Aronica in the 0-0 draw with Napoli.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Plan B for Ibra-less Milan

Feb 24, 2012

Robinho has admitted that Milan will have to change their game plan against Juventus given the ineligibility of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The striker, scorer of 15 League goals this term, is banned for Saturday night’s Scudetto showdown at the Stadio Meazza.

“When Ibra plays he’s always close to the penalty area and we have to adapt to his game,” the Brazilian noted.

“However, when he is not available then we have to play differently. He’s a great player, but we’ll now have to find some alternative solutions.”

Robinho is expected to start the game alongside Alexandre Pato in attack tomorrow evening.

Juventus have the best defence in Serie A this season, having conceded 14 goals in 23 games so far.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Juve director has a dream

Feb 24, 2012

Juventus director general Giuseppe Marotta is hoping for Andrea Pirlo to make the difference in Saturday’s Scudetto clash with Milan.

The playmaker spent 10 years with the Diavolo before he joined the Old Lady in the summer on a Bosman once his contract expired.

“I dream of winning at Milan with two goals from Pirlo,” the official told the giornalaccio rosa dello Sport on Friday.

While the Rossoneri opted against offering the 32-year-old a new deal, Juve didn’t hesitate in building their side around him.

“We contacted Pirlo as soon as the rules allowed us to,” Marotta added. “Aside from his technical qualities, Andrea is also fundamental in the changing room given his charisma and experience.

“The only doubt about him was regarding his fitness, but, apart from his last season at Milan, he’d always played more than 30 League games a season.”

While Pirlo will face his former teammates, the suspended Zlatan Ibrahimovic will be unable to come up against his ex-side.

“We’re indifferent to Ibrahimovic’s absence,” the former Sampdoria director continued. “Unfortunately Milan remain very strong with or without him.

“The tie remains very difficult. It’ll be fascinating, but tough…”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Allegri targets three big points

Feb 24, 2012

Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri has underlined how important victory against Juventus could be on Saturday. “Winning ugly would do.”

Although the tactician insists the result of the tie won’t be pivotal in the title race, he knows that three points could go a long way.

“I don’t think the match will be decisive,” he said on Friday afternoon. “However, it is clear that a win for either side would change the balance of the championship.

“I’d like to play badly and win. I’d sign for that today if that was offered to me. We are playing well right now though and we’ll need to put in a great display.

“We’ll have to try to win, even without Zlatan Ibrahimovic, because it is an important game at the top of the table. Who wins will see their chances of the Scudetto increase.”

The League leaders – they have a one-point advantage over Juve who have a game in hand – will be without their star striker after Ibra’s appeal against his ban failed.

“It’s always better to have a champion like him on the field of play,” the former Cagliari tactician continued.

“I personally took the news about his ban well in the sense that we can’t do anything about it. It was a judicial decision and we have to calmly accept that.”

Ibra won’t be the only player missing as Allegri confirmed fitness issues with Kevin-Prince Boateng and Maxi Lopez.

“Boateng and Maxi Lopez won’t be in the team. Alexandre Pato will definitely play. Sulley Muntari could feature from the first minute. I still haven’t decided between Antonini or Mesbah at left-back.

“Pato? I expect him to make a convincing return. He’ll start in an important game and he’ll be motivated to do well.”

Allegri was inevitably asked about Andrea Pirlo, the Italian international who left Milan for Juve in the summer.

“Pirlo was a decision made seven months ago, it’s an old story. He’s doing well at Juventus, but I didn’t doubt his quality. He’s a reference point for the Bianconeri and we’ll look to limit him.”

Milan beat Juve in this summer’s Trofeo Berlusconi tie, but the Old Lady have defeated them in the League and Cup so far this term.

“We were disastrous against Juventus in Turin and, despite that, we only lost the game five minutes from the end,” Allegri noted.

“Juve are very aggressive and we lost in the Cup to them because of two mistakes. Tomorrow will be a different game.

“We’re ready to play a great tie against a team that deserves their position in the table when you look at the numbers. They have the best defensive record and haven’t lost in 23 games.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Conte: Milan more than Ibra

Feb 24, 2012

Antonio Conte has warned his Juventus players not to relax against Milan just because Zlatan Ibrahimovic won’t be playing.

The 30-year-old Rossonero had appealed to have his three-game suspension for a sending off against Napoli reduced so he could play in Week 25, but that was turned down on Thursday.

Whilst admitting that he didn’t expect that outcome, Conte believes it still doesn’t change Juve’s preparations going into the top-of-the-table clash on Saturday night.

“You know, the obligation is to win, one wants to win, there is no doubt, with or without Ibra, beyond if you are playing for Milan or another club,” Conte insisted to the gathered media on Friday.

“Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we fail. Nothing changes if there is Ibrahimovic or there is no Ibrahimovic, this is beyond doubt. We should not change anything at all in the attitude or desire to look for victory - this will be the case for us, as it will be for Milan.

“From a tactical point of view, certainly Ibrahimovic gives Milan more reference points than others, he gives a point of reference to us as well as Milan.

“But we are prepared and nothing changes the way in which we have prepared all week. I will, yesterday in training, when we look at the opposing team, we had anticipated an attack of Robinho and Ibra.”

Conte was asked again about the Swede’s absence and if his side could relax in facing a Rossoneri team without the striker.

“I think it would be stupid to relax, because Milan is not just Ibra. This was demonstrated in their previous two games, perhaps in the greatest moment of difficulty in Udine when without a great player like Ibrahimovic they won on a field that we had only drawn on and all others had lost on.

“Milan-Juventus is definitely at this time the most anticipated game of the year. There can be no release of tension because we face a Milan who have the badge sewn on to their jersey, who is ahead of us in the standings and is considered by us to be the strongest in the League.”

The Coach is rumoured to be considering using the 3-5-2 formation on Saturday night.

“It’s inevitable, that I, as was the case at the beginning of the week, have a particular idea in mind. I have an initial idea, then it is inevitable that I see in the week if this idea is supported by what I see with my eyes, then the physical state [of the players] and their desire and attitude in training.

“But in my head, for sure, from the first day I am working on something, I already have it in mind when training. If it is supported by what I see, then I’ll go with it.”

Having already beaten Massimiliano Allegri’s side in the reverse League fixture and again in the first leg of the Coppa Italia semi-final, Conte was asked if he truly believed that the Bianconeri are underdogs this weekend.

“Let’s not forget, they beat us in the Trofeo Berlusconi. Milan are a strong team - us, as I have said, have reached an important step, to be competitive again. I had set myself this step, I set myself several steps, but the most important was to become competitive again.

“I think we have achieved this and this is a beautiful thing and should be a source of pride and satisfaction for the players, for me, for the club and for the fans.

“Look, quite frankly, it would be nice to open up a gap between us and third place. I do not know if this will happen based on what we do against Milan. It’s inevitable that I’d like to selfishly that the top two cut themselves off.

“But we know that the Italian League is very competitive, there are teams like Udinese, Lazio, Roma and Inter.

“That said, we look to ourselves, which is most important, we look forward and try to do the best we can, starting tomorrow night, which is the first game in which we face.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Matri doesn’t see a title-decider

Feb 24, 2012

Alessandro Matri agrees that Milan-Juventus will not decide the destination of the Scudetto, and reveals he bears no grudges towards his former employees.

The Rossoneri host Matri’s Juve on Saturday night, but like a number of pundits and figures central to proceedings, the striker does not see the game between the League’s top two sides determining where the title will end up.

“I am calm as I am for all other games,” Matri reassured Mediaset on Friday.

“Of course there are great expectations for it is a game between the leading sides, a major challenge, but we want to approach it with a peaceful mindset.

“I do not think it will be decisive, the championship is long, but it is an important game.”

Matri began his career with the San Siro outfit, but only made one senior appearance - in May 2003 - before developing as a more accomplished player elsewhere.

“These are decisions made by clubs. I have had a very broad route [through the game], whilst Juve has also believed in me.”

Matri is contention to start the game alongside one of Fabio Quagliarella and Mirko Vucinic.

“Since the beginning of the season there has been competition, but as long as it is healthy then it is good that it is there, because it is the case not only at Juve, but all teams.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

How much does each AC Milan & Juventus player cost and earn?

Between transfer fees and salaries the 22 players on the field are valued around €270 million

- but the Rossoneri's squad was built with less expenditure than the Bianconeri's.

Feb 24, 2012

ANALYSIS

By Sergio Chesi | Deputy Editor, Goal.com Italia

Thiago Silva versus Giorgio Chiellini, Mark van Bommel against Andrea Pirlo, the face off between coaches Massimiliano Allegri and Antonio Conte ... but that is not the only way to measure the teams. AC Milan against Juventus will also judge the distance between CEO Adriano Galliani and sporting director Giuseppe Marotta - the men who built the respective sides competing for the Scudetto following two very different strategies.

Firstly there is Galliani, the master of his profession in Italy, the prime example of how a great club can be personified by the moves of a sole management figure. Experienced and streetwise, his career has seen him deal with a variety of conditions - he knew when he had to spend to bring in champions, but now that resources are more scarce, he specialises in turning silver into gold.

Then there is the Bianconeri's Marotta. His first year at the club was spent acquiring players that previous coach Luigi Del Neri wanted to fit into his 4-4-2 formation, but it brought marginal success. Despite the initial bumps in the road, he has brought in eight of the 11 starters competing for this year's Scudetto.

With just one day to go before the San Siro challenge, we pitted Galliani against Marotta, focusing the spotlight on the numbers behind Milan and Juventus. How much did it cost to build these teams fighting for the Scudetto? And what is the annual expenditure required to keep these successful players happy?

Here is the analysis, comparing each team in the mirror, both their overall best XI (based on the preferences shown by the coaches this season if everyone was available), and also those likely to take to the pitch on Saturday.

Juventus' ideal formation has cost more than Milan's. A surprising fact, considering the Turin giants' roster is not particularly remarkable by any stretch of the imagination and the Rossoneri are the current title holders. However, one must consider their need to rebuild following Calciopoli, which required significant investment from the Agnelli family.

What is also evident is the current state of Italian sides in the transfer market. More than €50 million was spent in 2001 on goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon by the Old Lady, and €30m dispensed by the Rossoneri a year later to bring in Alessandro Nesta. The most recent expensive purchases, €24m for Zlatan Ibrahimovic and €18m for Alessandro Matri, show how the financial landscape has changed.

Comparing the likely starting XI's for the match this weekend, the difference in 'cost' between Juventus and AC Milan further increases. If the sides above are confirmed for the encounter, the visiting starters will have required an investment twice that of Allegri's XI.

This is due to Galliani's low-cost approach, finding valuable assets scattered around the country and continent at ridiculously low prices: Christian Abbiati, Ignazio Abate, Philippe Mexes, Luca Antonini, Antonio Nocerino, Van Bommel and Urby Emanuelson arrived at different times but, combined, cost less than what Juventus paid for Simone Pepe alone.

In the transfer market, the cloth is always going to be cut a bit short. If you save in one area, you'll have to stretch in another and Galliani knows this better than most. The less you spend on transfer fees, the more you may have to shell out in wages for top talent.

As a result, Milan have a higher payroll in both comparisons. The main factor shifting the balance is Ibrahimovic's €9m a year deal, reportedly making him the top earner in Serie A.

However, even without Ibrahimovic's impressive salary that many of us could only dream of having, Milan still spend more than Juventus in this statistic. The bottom line, once again, is that a small transfer fee leads to a higher salary. Philippe Mexes, who arrived at the end of last season from Roma on a free, will pocket €4m in his first season, Van Bommel arrived from Bayern in similar circumstances and certainly cannot complain about his pay cheque either.

The gap with Juventus in this regard, at least on Saturday evening, will not be substantial. The €6m earned by Buffon keeps the visitors within touching distance, but the remaining 10 Bianconeri effectively earn below the average salary of Milan's line-up.

At San Siro on Saturday night, both sets of players will fight for Scudetto supremacy. But come 22.40CET, will it be Galliani or Marotta who feels financially justified?

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Prandelli: AC Milan versus Juventus not decisive in title race

The national team coach has stressed that there are many more games to come after

this weekend's clash and expects the Scudetto fight to remain open until the end of the season.

Feb 24, 2012

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has voiced his opinion that this weekend's Serie A clash between AC Milan and Juventus will not be decisive in the title race.

The Rossoneri currently hold a one-point lead over the Old Lady, who have one game in hand, and Massimiliano Allegri's men could move further clear of their biggest rivals for the Scudetto on Saturday.

However, Prandelli has stressed that there is still a long way to go in the campaign, and expects the title race to remain exciting right until the end regardless of the outcome in San Siro.

"In my opinion, it is too early to talk about a decisive match. The season is still long and these two teams will be fighting for the title right until the end," Prandelli stated to Eurosport.

"Both Milan and Juventus have been very consistent this term, and have a well-defined identity. I expect a balanced game. This year's Serie A is very fascinating."

The match at San Siro kicks off at 20.45CET.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

AC Milan's Mario Yepes: Juventus are not dependent on Andrea Pirlo

The Colombian defender has warned the Rossoneri not to solely focus on the Bianconeri

playmaker, and added Saturday's game will not be decisive in the title race.

Feb 24, 2012

AC Milan defender Mario Yepes is eagerly anticipating Saturday evening's Serie A match at home against Juventus.

All eyes will be on Juventus playmaker Andrea Pirlo at San Siro as the midfielder returns to the club where he achieved great success, but Yepes has warned that there is more to the Old Lady than just the 32-year-old.

"Juventus are not reliant on just one player. They are a very strong collective, and every player is important for them," Yepes said to Goal.com.

"They have an immense desire to win and to return to the top. They are high on confidence and are still unbeaten. That boosts their morale even further and makes them more determined to win."

The Rossoneri currently sit top of the table with a one-point lead over their Turin based rivals, and are keen to extend the gap by bagging all three points. Nevertheless, Yepes has stressed that Saturday's encounter will not be decisive in deciding this season's champions.

"The match versus Juventus wont be decisive for the Scudetto. There are still many games to be played and points to be earned. A win would obviously be a big boost though, and we hope to record a victory."

The match at San Siro kicks off at 20.45CET.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Chiellini warns Juventus there's more to AC Milan than Ibrahimovic

The 27-year-old believes that the Italian champions have a host of great players

and that Antonio Conte's men would be unwise to switch off due to the Swede's absence.

Feb 24, 2012

Giorgio Chiellini has warned his Juventus team-mates that they must remain wary of AC Milan despite Zlatan Ibrahimovic's absence due to suspension.

The Swede picked up a red card during his side's 0-0 draw with Napoli earlier this month for a slap on Salvatore Aronica and was consequently handed a three-game league ban.

It was confirmed on Thursday that Ibrahimovic's appeal to shortened the suspension was overturned and he will miss the clash against his old club, but Chiellini does not think that this will allow his Bianconeri side to relax.

"Milan have so many champions in their squad," the 27-year-old defender told Sky Sport Italia. "Therefore I don't think too much will change for them even with Ibra absent.

"They have already shown that they can deal with his absence in these last few games. Whoever replaces him will be even hungrier to prove their worth."

Milan can take a four-point lead at the top of Serie A with a victory at San Siro over Juventus, who have, however, played a game less than Massimiliano Allegri's men.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Alessandro Matri: AC Milan are still the favourites

The former Cagliari star feels that the Bianconeri are the underdogs

in Saturday's encounter at San Siro and is unsure whether he will start it.

Feb 24, 2012

Juventus attacker Alessandro Matri has stated his belief that AC Milan are the favourites in Saturday's highly anticipated Serie A encounter at San Siro.

The Old Lady have already defeated that reigning champions twice in the 2011-12 campaign, but Matri believes that the Rossoneri are the favourites to bag the full three points on Saturday evening.

"Milan are still the favourites in my opinion, but we are growing in confidence. We will attack them right from the start," Matri was quoted as saying by Tuttosport.

The former Cagliari star then discussed his chances of featuring from the start at San Siro, and stressed that he has no idea yet whether he will be part of the starting XI.

"I don't know yet whether I will start or [Marco] Borriello. We will find out at the stadium who starts."

The 27-year-old Matri has so far scored nine goals in 21 Serie A appearances this term.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Allegri: Milan - Juventus match will not be decisive

AC Milan coach says that a victory on Saturday will be important for his side,

but dismissed the notion that the match will be crucial to determine the Scudetto winner.

Feb 24, 2012

AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri has played down the importance of the upcoming match against Juventus at San Siro.

The Serie A champions host the Bianconeri on Saturday looking to increase the gap to the Turin-based club, who trail Milan in second with one match in hand.

"I do not think the match will be decisive," Allegri told a press conference. "But it is normal that a victory from either side will break the balance in the league.

"We are ready to play a great match against a side who deserved their position in the table, based on statistics.

"They have the best defence in the competition and have not yet lost after 23 games."

Allegri then stated that Kevin-Prince Boateng and Maxi Lopez have both been ruled out of the contest, while revealing that Alexandre Pato 'will surely play', in what will be his first Serie A appearance since mid-January.

"I expect a convincing return [from Pato]," Allegri noted. "He returns in an important match for the league.

"He will also be very motivated to do well."

The 44-year-old coach went on to reveal that his side are wary of the threat posed by Andrea Pirlo, who left Milan for Juventus in the summer.

"That decision was made seven months ago, it is old news," Allegri said. "He is doing well at Juve, but I had no doubt about his quality.

"He is a reference for Juventus. We will try to limit his actions."

Allegri also said that Milan are in a good moment and admitted he wants his side to take the three points - even if the Rossoneri have to play ugly.

"We did not get off to a good start in February, but we have recovered," he said. "We are at the top of the Serie A table, with one point more than this time last season.

"I would like to win, even playing badly. But we are playing well now.

"I am sure that the match will be very good at a technical level."

Questioned on the Lega Calcio's decision to reject Milan's appeal to shorten Zlatan Ibrahimovic's three-match ban, Allegri said: "I took the news well in the sense that we cannot do anything about it.

"It is a judicial decision and we have to calmly accept it."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Conte: Ibrahimovic's absence changes nothing for title clash

Juve coach has called on his side to demonstrate they can win the Scudetto

in Saturday's match, while insisting the Rossoneri remain strong without Ibrahimovic.

Feb 24, 2012

Juventus coach Antonio Conte has played down the fact that AC Milan will be without Zlatan Ibrahimovic for Saturday's match between the two clubs.

The Lega Calcio's Disciplinary Committee announced on Thursday that it had rejected Milan's appeal to have Ibrahimovic's three-match ban reduced - meaning he will not be able to play against his former club at San Siro.

"One always wants to win, with or without Ibrahimovic," Conte told reporters at a press conference. "That has been our mentality since the start of the season.

"Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we do not. For us, Ibra's absence does not change our preparation and our desire, and I imagine the same can be said about Milan.

"Ibra surely gives more points of reference, because he is a great player, but Milan are strong, with or without him."

Juventus are currently one point behind Milan in second place, with one match in hand, and Conte believes that Saturday's match will be decisive for the Bianconeri to prove they can go all the way in the competition.

"We have taken a decisive step, which was to become competitive again," Conte explained.

"This is a source of pride for me, for the team and for the club. We must now prove that we can continue at this level."

Conte then played down comments from former Italy coach Marcello Lippi, who stated on Thursday that Milan have stronger centre-backs than Juventus.

"I think that Milan have two great champions, two outstanding players in Alessandro Nesta and Thiago Silva," Conte said.

"I played alongside Nesta and he is a great player. Thiago Silva is among the best in his position.

"But I repeat that I would not trade my central defenders with Milan's."

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

Marotta: I hope Pirlo scores twice against AC Milan

Pirlo returns to his former home on Saturday, and the Juventus director

is dreaming on a match-winning performance from the midfielder.

Feb 24, 2012

Juventus general director Giuseppe Marotta is dreaming of Andrea Pirlo scoring two goals in his return to AC Milan on Saturday.

The 32-year-old closed the curtain on a decade-long career with the San Siro club in 2011, moving to their fierce rivals in the summer of that year.

The Turin club have since enjoyed a change in fortunes, and are realistic Scudetto contenders for the first time since relegation in 2006.

They face their closest title rivals over the weekend, and Marotta is hoping that Pirlo himself can be the man to dent Massimiliano Allegri's side's Serie A aspirations.

"I dream of winning at Milan with two goals from Pirlo," he told giornalaccio rosa dello Sport.

Marotta also revealed the circumstances in which Pirlo joined the club, and has praised his positive influence on the squad.

"We contacted Pirlo as soon as the rules allowed us to. The only doubt about him was regarding his fitness but, apart from his last season at Milan, he always played more than 30 games a season.

"Aside from his technical qualities, Andrea is fundamental in the changing room, given his charisma and experience."

Finally, Marotta voiced his belief that Zlatan Ibrahimovic's absence through suspension is of little importance, due to his side's all-round quality.

"We're indifferent to Ibrahimovic's absence. Unfortunately Milan remain very strong with or without him. The tie is still difficult. It'll be fascinating, but hard."

AC Milan and Juventus kick off at 20.45CET on Saturday evening.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Boateng out of Juve game

Feb 24, 2012

Kevin-Prince Boateng has not recovered in time to face Juventus, but Alessandro Nesta and Philippe Mexes are in the Milan squad.

There were major doubts over the Ghanaian after he limped off during the 4-0 Champions League win over Arsenal last week.

He was making his comeback in that tie and suffered a relapse, so without returning to full training today, he won’t be risked for the Saturday night Scudetto showdown.

However, Alexandre Pato is in the side after his fitness concerns, joining Nesta and Mexes.

Naturally, Zlatan Ibrahimovic misses out, as he lost his appeal against a three-match ban for slapping Napoli’s Salvatore Aronica. Maxi Lopez is also sidelined.

Milan squad: Abbiati, Amelia, Abate, Antonini, Bonera, Ely, Mesbah, Mexes, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Zambrotta, Yepes, Ambrosini, Emanuelson, Muntari, Nocerino, Van Bommel, El Shaarawy, Inzaghi, Pato, Robinho

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Juve squad for Milan

Feb 24, 2012

Juventus have named 22 players for Saturday’s Scudetto showdown with Milan, leaving out Milos Krasic.

The Bianconeri go into tomorrow night’s clash at San Siro with essentially a full squad at their disposal, as only Luca Marrone is injured.

Juventus squad: Buffon, Chiellini, Caceres, Pepe, Marchisio, Del Piero, De Ceglie, Manninger, Vucinic, Barzagli, Elia, Quagliarella, Bonucci, Padoin, Pirlo, Vidal, Borriello, Giaccherini, Lichtsteiner, Estigarribia, Storari, Matri

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

logo.png

Vidal: 'We beat Milan twice...'

Feb 24, 2012

Juventus star Arturo Vidal considers “Milan to be the Scudetto favourites, but we beat them twice this season and can do it again.”

The midfielder is looking forward to Saturday night’s title showdown at San Siro and hopes the Bianconeri can make it three in a row.

Juve won 2-0 in Turin in Serie A earlier this term and beat the Rossoneri 2-1 in Milan for the Coppa Italia semi-final first leg.

“I consider Milan to be the Scudetto favourites, but we beat them twice this season and can do it again,” smiled Vidal.

“Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Kevin-Prince Boateng won’t be there, but we mustn’t underestimate anyone. I’d also point out very strong players like Robinho and Ignazio Abate.

“Antonio Conte should be given credit for constructing a team that always plays to win and doing so in a very short space of time.”

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

46546157729310904367157.jpg

AC Milan know how to win against Juventus

according to Thiago Silva

Feb 24, 2012

There’s just one day to go before one of the most anticipated and important matches of the Italian season. AC Milan will face Juventus and look to establish their top spot in the table. The Bianconeri won both previous encounters, one in the league in Turin and another in the Coppa Italia at San Siro.

Much-admired defender Thiago Silva talked about this big match to Milan Channel.

“It’s an important match, I’m happy with the team and now we know we can win,” he said. “Against us the Bianconeri did very well in the two earlier matches, they have a great will to win, but now we have this desire as well and so it will be a great match.

“The important thing is to win. Against Udinese we changed our playing style and found back our will to win. In the matches against Arsenal and Cesena we did very well and played great. We have to continue on this road.”

Milan beat Arsenal 4-0 last week to virtually secure their place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League. They currently lead Serie A by one point, though Juventus have a game in hand.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
132437 messaggi

46546157729310904367157.jpg

Marcelo Lippi reveals his thoughts on AC Milan vs Juventus

Feb 24, 2012

On Saturday night the two big contenders for this year’s Scudetto will face off as Milan welcome Juventus at San Siro. Former Juventus coach Marcello Lippi believes it could be an important match for the outcome of this season.

“There are still 12 matches to go before the end of the season, that’s 36 points, it cannot be decisive yet,” he said to Sky. “Psychologically it will be very important though, even though both teams already have high self-esteem due to what they have been doing this season.”

On the difference between the two teams, the former Italy coach said: “They have different characteristics and they will compete in different ways. Milan are Italian champions, they have a coach who the team was already used to, and despite the problems he’s had this season he’s still there.

“Meanwhile, Juve have grown a lot and very quickly, they’re a team that really believes it can win.”

Milan currently lead the table by one point, though second-placed Juventus have a game in hand.

Link di questo messaggio
Condividi su altri siti
Ospite
Questa discussione è chiusa.
Accedi per seguire   

• Chi sta navigando   0 utenti

Nessun utente registrato visualizza questa pagina.

• Crea Nuovo...